The Engineering Department, in conjunction with the Public Works Department, provides and maintains efficient roadway systems to ensure the safety of all who travel in SSL. We provide excellent traffic control by:
- Responding rapidly and effectively to all transportation maintenance needs throughout the City.
- Integrating technology, materials, labor and information to maximize roadway safety and efficient traffic flow.
- Supporting City administration in areas where we are uniquely qualified by our skill, knowledge, and equipment.
- Encouraging the professional and personal development of employees to enhance the quality of work-life balance and maximize employee contributions and satisfaction.
- Earning the confidence and respect of road users through sound engineering practices and established engineering standards.
Services We Provide
We install and maintain regulatory (stop, speed limit), guide (street name), warning (stop ahead, no outlet), and construction (detour, workers) signs. Signs are replaced when damaged or faded, posts are straightened when needed, and brush and limbs are regularly trimmed to maintain visibility.
Report damaged, missing, and faded signs to the Street and Sidewalks division by calling 801-483-6045.
Streetlight Out? Email to report your outage with the location. To expedite the request, include the pole # listed on the yellow plate.
Requests for new street light installations, new developments, tree trimming, etc. are handled by this division.
Traffic signals within the City are monitored for optimum operation and capacity, reducing traffic travel time delay. Maintenance is done by Salt Lake County. Report malfunctions or concerns to the Traffic Control division at 801-562-6418.
Street striping such as stop bars, red curbs, and crosswalks, as well as lane lines on city streets are maintained (and old ones removed) by the Traffic Control division.
School Zone Flashers
Flashing school zone signs within the City are maintained by the Traffic Control division, including keeping them operational as well as trimming back brush and limbs to maintain visibility.
Snow Removal Information
- Cars drive too fast down my street and there are a lot of kids that live and play here. Can I have a Children At Play sign installed?
- Cars drive too fast down my street. Can a stop sign be installed to slow traffic?
- How do I request a street light on my street?
- There is a tree/bush, etc. which blocks my view of a sign or of oncoming traffic. Can you cut or trim it?