At the Water Division, we promote public health and welfare by providing safe, clean drinking water. As water is essential, we enhance quality of life by providing a high-quality water supply to residents and businesses. All South Salt Lake City water complies with Federal, State and Local water quality regulations.
What We Do
Our Department provides culinary drinking water for the City from 2100 South to 3300 South. We are responsible for maintaining the City's wells, infrastructure and hydrants. We monitor our supply 24 hours a day to ensure drinkability and the safety of the community. We treat our water supply and regularly sample and test our water to ensure regulations are met and/or exceeded.
The majority of our water infrastructure was installed in the 1940s to 1950s. Our team works daily to manage and maintain our supply and make sure water flows to your tap. Our system includes nearly 3,500 connections and 550 hydrants. All connections have been converted to electronic meters to ensure accuracy and real-time monitoring. We conduct routine maintenance to upgrade our aging system and conduct repairs as the need arises.
Ways to Save Water Indoors
- Check all faucets, pipes and toilets for leaks
- Install water-saving showerheads and high-efficiency toilets
- Turn off the water while brushing your teeth or shaving
- Defrost food in the refrigerator
- Rinse vegetables in a full sink or pan of water
- Fully load your dishwasher
- Rinse dishes in a full sink or pan of water
- Wash full loads of laundry
Ways to Save Water Outdoors
- Don't over-water landscaping
- Water your lawn or garden early in the morning or late in the evening
- Adjust sprinklers so that they don't water the sidewalk or street
- Don't water on cool, rainy or windy days
- Equip all hoses with shut-off nozzles
- Use drip irrigation systems
- Plant drought-tolerant or low-water use plants and grasses
- Mulch around plants to reduce evaporation and discourage weeds
- Use a pool cover to cut down on evaporation
- Use a bucket instead of a hose to wash your car
- How do I report a problem?
If you are experiencing or have observed a problem with water from 2100 to 3300 South, contact the SSL Water Division by calling 801-483-6014. After hours call dispatch at 801-840-4000. For concerns south of 3300 South contact Jordan Valley Water Conservancy District by calling 801-256-4401.
- Who supplies my water?
The Salt Lake Valley has many water service providers. Reference this map for assistance finding your water provider. Salt Lake Valley Water District Map
- How do I sign up for water service?
Our Utility Billing division can assist with South Salt Lake Water. For service south of 3300 South, visit Jordan Valley Water Conservancy District or call 801-565-4300.