City of South Salt Lake


Add To My Quick Links

Business Licensing

Anyone who owns or operates a business within South Salt Lake City limits must obtain a business license prior to conducting business. Our division ensures that all businesses operating within the City are properly licensed, adhering to city standards and meeting county/state requirements.

What We Do:

At the Business Licensing Division, we accept and process applications for business licenses from business owners. Whether you are an established business hoping to open a new location in SSL, or you are launching a new venture, we will review your application and make sure you are in compliance with City codes.

City plans

Business licenses are only valid for the address on the application. A change in location requires re-application for licensure. Multiple locations require a separate license and application for each location.

If you have questions relating to the submission of your application, please contact Karla Slick at 801.483.6031

Additional Information

How to apply for a business license:

  • Submit your complete application
  • Pay application fee - fees can be found in the Municipal Code
  • Submit property owner affidavit or copy of lease agreement
  • Complete pre-inspection checklist
  • Provide the following:
    • A copy of your Utah State Department of Commerce Name Registration

    • A copy of your State of Utah Sales Tax ID Number

    • Your Federal Employee Identification Number (EIN) or Federal Tax Identification Number 

    • A copy of your Occupational or Professional License, if applicable

    • A copy of your Salt Lake County Health Department approval, if applicable

    • A copy of your Department of Agriculture approval, if applicable

    • A copy of your Motor Vehicle Enforcement Division approval, if applicable

    • A copy of your Mt. Olympus Improvement District (sewer district) approval, if applicable

Incomplete Applications:

Applicants are responsible for submitting a complete application and meeting all necessary city, county and/or state code approval requirements. 

If you receive notice that your application is incomplete, you will have thirty (30) days to correct any problems and/or provide any missing information or payments. After a 30 Day Notice of Denial period for failure to provide a complete application, the application voids.

License Renewal

All licenses must be renewed on an annual basis.

  • Businesses located east of 200 West (the TRAX) renew on January 1.
  • Businesses located west of 200 West renew on August 1.

How to pay for a business license renewal:

  • Pay Online - South Salt Lake has partnered with Xpress Bill Pay to provide convenient online business license renewals.
  • Credit Card, Check, or Cash - Please mail your payment to our office or contact our business licensing staff for payment via phone. 

**All payments must include renewal notice or account number**

If you are a landlord, consider enrolling in our Good Landlord Program.


Ritz Classic Apartments

Are business licenses transferable? 

No. All new businesses (or businesses with a change in ownership) must submit a new business license application and schedule any required inspections.

May I start business before my license is issued? 

No. All prospective businesses must receive a license prior to engaging in business operations. Businesses failing to comply with licensing requirements may be subject to daily citations or criminal penalties. 

How do I know if my business is allowed in a building?

Please review Title 17 of the South Salt Lake Municipal Code for what land uses are allowed in each zoning district. If your proposed use is allowed in the zoning district and is a change of use from prior uses, the building and site will be required to be brought into current compliance with all Municipal Code, Building Code and Fire Code requirements. If you have specific questions, please contact our planning department staff. 

Do I need a business license for a Home Occupation?

Yes. All home occupations require a business license.

I scheduled a building/fire inspection and received a correction list on my inspection report -- now what do I do? 

All items listed on your inspection report must be addressed prior to license approval. If the compliance item requires a building permit, you will need to submit the appropriate applications with a General Contractor licensed in the State of Utah. Once all improvements have been completed, applicants shall contact the inspector listed on the inspection report to schedule a follow-up inspection.

Do I need a business license if I am only storing goods in a warehouse? 

Yes. All warehouses and stored goods also require a business license.

Do I need a business license to rent my residential property? 

Yes. All residential rentals require a business license before leasing begins.

Do I need an inspection for my rental business license application? 

Yes. All rental business licenses require that the property is inspected prior to beginning the leasing process.

I am closing my business in SSL, what do I need to do? 

Please contact Karla Slick at 801.483.6031 or [email protected] to close your account.

Related Links:

Related Information

Contact Us


Karla Slick
Business License Official
[email protected]

Rhea Beckstead
Business License Specialist
[email protected]

Chad Miller
Business Enforcement & Inspection
[email protected]