City of South Salt Lake


Add To My Quick Links


Cross Walk

As South Salt Lake’s Engineering Division, it is our job to protect the safety and welfare of the city and its residents by providing high-quality engineering and inspection services. Overall, our job is twofold -- we plan, oversee and assist important engineering projects throughout the City, while also ensuring all private infrastructure is in compliance with local, state and federal regulations. This daily work is accomplished by a team of qualified and competent professionals.

What we do

The Engineering Division is in charge of overseeing all Capital Improvement Projects in the City of South Salt Lake. When launching a new project, our process can be broken into several steps:

  1. Determining need: our project priorities are based on the City’s current needs, so we always determine the necessity of a project as our first step.
  2. Draft a Scope of Work plan: this will determine the resources, time and manpower needed to accomplish this project; information that will guide the rest of the process.
  3. Design stage: depending on the size and scope of the project, this can be accomplished in-house, or will be completed by contractors hired by the City.
  4. Put out the project to bid: The project will be added to the Utah Public Procurement Place, where contractors can submit bid proposals.
  5. Oversee construction project: the Engineering Division always takes an active role in each project, monitoring progress and advising/assisting our contractors.
  6. Monitor pay requests throughout the project: Engineering also ensures our contractors are paid accurately throughout the project.
  7. Finally, we close out the project.

In addition to overseeing new construction projects around South Salt Lake, the Engineering Division performs routine building inspections and reviews private building projects within the City to ensure they are in compliance with local, state and federal standards. 


As a contractor, where can I learn about ongoing or upcoming Capital Improvement Projects?

A list of available Capital Improvement Projects around South Salt Lake can be found at the Utah Public Procurement Place, along with many other biddable projects throughout Utah.

Who should I contact if I see a problem with a road or building?

Please contact Code Enforcement at 801-464-6712 if you notice any clear violations of building code. Contact the Public Works Inspector at 801-412-3211 if you notice an issue with a road or building that could present a serious danger to the residents of SSL. You can also reach out to The Streets and Sidewalks Division for problems with streets or signage.

Do I need a Right-of-Way Permit?

Normal construction activity in the public right-of-way, including obstruction of the public right-of-way requires a permit from our Engineering Department with the city of South Salt Lake. Work in the public right-of-way includes replacement or new construction of streets, sidewalks, curb and gutter, drive approaches, and utility excavations. Landscaping does not require a public right-of-way permit unless heavy equipment is used to move material. Planning approval may be required, please contact the community development department 801-483-6063.

If you need to close a city-owned street or sidewalk for any length of time, you will be required to obtain a right-of-way permit and include a Traffic Control Plan.

Do you need a dumpster or moving containers curbside? Here’s what you’ll need:

  1. A Right-of-Way Permit is required to place a moving container or dumpster on the shoulder of the road, a fee will be charged for the length of the permit.
  2. Every moving container or dumpster must have a traffic control plan that includes placement of barricades.

Do I need a Permit for a sewer spot repair on private property?

Yes, a Right-of-Way Permit must be applied for on a sewer spot repair. If staying outside of the City's Right-of-Way the only fee required will be the application/inspection fee.


Related Links:

Related Information

Contact Us

220 East Morris Ave, 3rd Floor
South Salt Lake, UT 84115

Office Hours:
Monday - Friday
7:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.

Dennis Pay, P.E.
City Engineer 
Office: 801-483-6038
[email protected]

Chris Merket, EIT
Office: 801-412-3244
Cell: 385-341-0412
Ed Rufener
Senior Engineering Inspector/Safety Manager
Office: 801-412-3210
Cell: 801-243-8712
Ben Vaea
Engineering Inspector
Office: 801-412-3211
Cell: 801-598-7070
[email protected]
Street Light Out?
Help keep our neighborhoods lit!
Email [email protected] or
call 801-483-6038 with the location.
To expedite the request include the pole # listed on the yellow plate.
Street Light RMP