City of South Salt Lake


Add To My Quick Links

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I file a police report?

Emergencies: Always dial 911.

Non-emergencies: Call dispatch at (801) 840-4000.

Speed TrailerHow can I request a speed trailer be placed in my neighborhood?

A speed trailer is an apparatus placed on the side of the road that will show the posted speed limit along with the speed of a vehicle passing by it. Speed trailers are often very effective in combating speeding problems in a given area. If you would like to request a speed trailer be placed in your neighborhood, call (801) 412-3674 and leave a message. Someone from the Traffic Division will contact you to make arrangements.

How can I find the Neighborhood Watch program for my neighborhood?

There are established Neighborhood Watch groups for every area of the city, and they meet monthly. Contact Officer Chad Keller in the Community Resources Division at (801) 412-3654. He will give you information on where your local Neighborhood Watch group meets and when the next meeting is scheduled.

How can I add information to a police report I have previously filed?

If you have filed a report with one of our officers and would like to add information to the case, call dispatch at (801) 840-4000 and let them know you have additional information. Provide them with the case number and an officer will contact you to get the information. If you have a detective assigned to your case, contact that detective directly and provide any additional information you have.

How can I get my property back if it has been taken into evidence?

Depending on the way your property has been classified, there are different processes for releasing the property. Call the Evidence department before you come in to retrieve your property so they can advise you of the process and how long to expect it to take to process your request. The Evidence department can be reached by calling (801) 412-3665. Requests made after 4:30pm may not be reviewed until the following business day, and no requests are guaranteed to be processed the day they are made.

Please note that at the time you come in to pick up your property you will need to present photo identification, and you may only pick up the property if you are the owner of the property. For circumstances where that may not be possible, contact the Evidence personnel to find out what options are available.

How do I request a copy of a police report or an accident report?

Come into the police department at 2835 S Main St and go to the Records window. Complete a GRAMA request form, and the request will be processed by our Records personnel. You can also print a copy of the GRAMA request form from our Downloadable Forms section and bring the request into the police department. You will need to provide photo identification at the time of the request. There is a $10.00 fee for copies of police reports, $15.00 for DI-9 accident reports and $10.00 for non-reportable accident reports, due at the time you receive the report (which may be in the same visit you make the request, however it can take up to 10 working days) and can be paid by cash, check or credit/debit card. We do not accept American Express or Discover Card.

How can I arrange to have an officer give a presentation?

We have officers who specialize in various areas of crime prevention and safety who can give an informative and interesting presentation to your school, business, or community group. Call the police department at (801) 412-3600 and provide details of your event and our office staff can direct you to the officer who can assist you.

Where can I go to get my fingerprints done?

We do not do fingerprinting here at the South Salt Lake Police Department. If you need to get your fingerprints done, we suggest contacting the Bureau of Criminal Identification (BCI) at (801) 965-4445.

How can I make a complaint about an ordinance violation?

To make a complaint about an ordinance violation, call the Urban Livability Department at (801) 464-6712.

How can I report information on possible drug activity?


If you know of a location or person who is possibly involved in drug activity, call the Drug Tip Line at (801) 412-3651. Our Street Crimes Unit will receive the information and follow up on all complaints. If you see drug activity in progress that requires immediate attention, call dispatch at (801) 840-4000.

How can I request crime rate information?

Call Our Crime Analyst, Alli Lachowsky at (801) 412-3607 to request crime information. Requests generally only take a few days to process, but may take up to 10 working days.

How can I file a commendation or a complaint on an officer?

We welcome feedback about our department! Download the Commendation/Complaint form from our Downloadable Forms section of this website and print it, or visit the Records window at the police department at 2835 S Main St to pick up a form. Once completed, return it to Records personnel at the police department or mail to: South Salt Lake Police Department, 2835 South Main Street, South Salt Lake City, UT, 84115.

If I go on vacation, how can I request officers check on my house?

If you are going on vacation and would like our officers to occasionally drive by your house to make sure it looks secure, CLICK HERE to submit a request. Let our office know when you are leaving, when you will be returning, if anyone or any vehicles will be at the home, and you can also leave a contact phone number in case officers need to contact someone if there is an emergency. The information will be distributed to all officers.

How can I help combat graffiti in my neighborhood?

One of the best ways to combat graffiti is quick reporting and quick removal. As soon as you see graffiti in your neighborhoods, report it to police dispatch at (801) 840-4000. You can also help by reporting suspicious activity in areas that look like good targets for graffiti. Catching the suspect before the damage is done is better for everyone!

Related Information

Contact Us

SSL Police Department

2835 S Main St.
South Salt Lake, UT 84115

Office: 801.412.3600 
Dispatch: 801.840.4000 
Emergency: 911

Prevention Tips

For tips to help you stay safe, CLICK HERE.