City of South Salt Lake


Add To My Quick Links

Streets and Sidewalks Division

The Streets and Sidewalks Division provides for the health, safety, and welfare of the community through the maintenance of City streets and sidewalks, We also support the city in the proper disposal of solid waste, street tree trimming, and sign maintenance. Our work ensures a safe and reliable transportation network that allows residents, goods and services to move freely throughout the city.

What We Do

The streets division maintains the city’s concrete and asphalt streets and sidewalks. In addition, our City is full of trees, which can impact our city’s transportation and signage.

Streets and Sidewalks complete work on all of the following:

Asphalt and Concrete Pavement

  • Infrastructure repairs
  • Pothole repairs
  • Shoulder repairs
  • Utility cut repairs
  • Road and alley grading
  • Repair and maintenance of existing city sidewalks
  • New sidewalk and ramps  construction
  • Curb repair


  • Trim around street lights, all traffic signs, traffic lights and line of sight issues, as well as low hanging branches in the street
  • Remove all dead trees in City right of ways

Waste Management

  • Facilitate the city’s bulk waste pickup (box, bagged and bundled)
  • Support the residential roll-off dumpster program
  • Carry out the leaf bag  and holiday tree pickups

How You Can Help

You can support our work by doing the following:

  • Trim any foliage that is blocking street signs, sidewalks or drivers’ line of sight views  in front or to the side of your property
  • Keep your sidewalks clear of debris, greenery and snow
  • Call us if you notice dangerous potholes or road damage
  • Keep gutters clean in front of your property
  • Avoid on-street parking when possible; this makes it difficult for us to complete street sweeping, snow removal, line painting and curb marking

With your help, we can keep our city right of ways safe and functional.


What is a right of way?

A right of way is a type of easement granted or reserved over the land for transportation purposes, such as streets, sidewalks, bike paths, as well as utilities.

Who should I contact if I see a problem with street signage?

If you see something obstructing street signage or lights, or a sign/traffic light that has been broken, please call us immediately at 801-483-6045. 

How can I get my sidewalk fixed?

Some basic maintenance of sidewalks is expected from the owners of residences directly adjacent to that sidewalk. However, the City also has some capital funds for sidewalk maintenance. If your sidewalk is no longer navigable or could provide a trip hazard for pedestrians, please contact us at 801-483-6045.

How do I get a street tree trimmed?

If you believe a tree is blocking drivers’ vision, is obscuring a street sign or traffic light, or is otherwise presenting a danger to pedestrians or drivers, please contact us immediately at 801-483-6045. Please do not contact us for aesthetic tree trimming.

See our full list of pedestrian and bicyclist safety tips.

Related Links:

Related Information

Contact Us


David Alexander
Streets Division Manager

195 West Oakland Ave
South Salt Lake, UT 84115

Office Hours:
Monday - Friday
7:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. 

O 801-483-6045
F 801-483-6030
[email protected]
Contact Form

Street Light Out?

Help keep our neighborhoods lit!
Email [email protected]gov or
call 801-483-6045 with the location.
To expedite the request include the pole # listed on the yellow plate.
Street Light RMP