Columbus Community Center
The Columbus Community Center is a pillar in our community. This unique Spanish-style building was built in 1918 and served as an elementary school for over 80 years before becoming the city’s first community/recreation center in 2000.
The Center hosts several important community services and partners. These include The Community Opportunity Center ('The Co-Op), the Salt Lake County Columbus Senior Center, the City Recreation Department, the Best Buy Teen Tech Center and the Hser Ner Moo Promise SSL center.
Additionally, the center provides indoor and outdoor rental options for anyone hosting a meeting, club or event.
The Community Opportunity Center ("The Co-Op" )
South Salt Lake is excited to announce the opening of a new facility that provides resources for our community—The Community Opportunity Center. Inside the former Columbus Branch Library, this program has been developed to promote Digital Inclusion, Financial Empowerment, and Career & Business Advancement. The Co-Op offers the following:
- Supportive people and programs, meeting people where they are
- Spaces for groups and partners to offer their services
- Work, meeting and gathering places
- Classes, trainings and learning activities
- Collaboration with non-profit and social service providers
To learn more, connect with The Co-Op Manager, Lucas Horns at [email protected]
South Salt Lake Recreation Department
South Salt Lake's Recreation Department is housed in the Columbus Center.
Recreation Office Hours- Monday-Friday: 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.,
- The City’s Recreation Department operates out of the Columbus Center and leads classes, camps and leagues for all ages and interests. Staff are available to register for classes, leagues, room rentals and other services.
- Open gym is held in the gymnasium next to the Recreation Department
Columbus Senior Center
The Columbus Senior Center is a great place for those 60 years and older. Residents can have fun and meet new friends while participating in a wide variety of classes and social activities. Lunch is served Monday through Friday at Noon.
Columbus Senior Center, in partnership with Meals on Wheels. will be providing both delivery and pickup meals for elderly residents. For either service, please call 385.468.3340 the day before you would like to receive your meal.
For additional information, please contact Jayme Haight at [email protected] or 385.468.3338. Transportation is available for those who live in the City.
Columbus Senior Center is a joint venture between South Salt Lake and Salt Lake County.
Summer Hours: 10:30 AM-6:30PM, Monday-Friday
Promise SSL’s fun and free technology lab where youth can experiment and innovate with a range of advanced tech, including Microsoft Studio computers, a 3D printer and a recording studio.
Hser Ner Moo Promise South Salt Lake Program
Fall and Spring Hours: Monday - Thursday 4:00 - 7:00 p.m., Friday 2:30 - 5:30 p.m.; Summer Hours: Monday - Friday 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
This Promise SSL youth center is named after a young refugee girl who had settled in South Salt Lake from Thailand. The center offers help with reading, math, science and ESL, as well as fun clubs and sports activities for students K-12.
The Center also works with community partners to offer ESL classes, parenting support and more!
The Columbus Center is not currently renting due to the ongoing COVID-19 situation. We will post updates as the situation progresses.
To learn more about our rental options, please call 801.412.3217. To learn more about rates, or if you’re ready to rent, check out our rental application!
Spaces available for rent:
- Gym (for sports)
- Gym (for events)
- Outdoor Patio
- Meeting rooms (different sizes and rates)
Columbus Library - Permanently Closed
The County Library has decided to decommission the Columbus Library Branch. This decision was reached by the Library Board for several reasons:
- The already planned closure of the Columbus Library and transfer of services to the Granite Library. The new Granite Branch is under construction and anticipated to open in spirng 2022.
- All South Salt Lake buildings were closed to the public during the height of the 2020 COVID-19 pandemic.
- Difficulties with low utilization of curbside services and limited capacity in the facility for social distancing during COVID-19 pandemic.
To find another library branch near you visit: https://www.slcolibrary.org/locations/locations. Calvin Smith Library (810 E 3300 S) remains open until this point.
There is a second “Columbus Center” in South Salt Lake, which serves people with developmental disabilities. This organization formerly occupied the Columbus Center building, but is now located at 3495 S. West Temple.