As South Salt Lake’s Engineering Division, it is our job to protect the safety and welfare of the city and its residents by providing high-quality engineering and inspection services. Overall, our job is twofold -- we plan, oversee and assist important engineering projects throughout the City, while also ensuring all private infrastructure is in compliance with local, state and federal regulations. This daily work is accomplished by a team of qualified and competent professionals.
What We Do
The Engineering Division is in charge of overseeing all Capital Improvement Projects in the City of South Salt Lake. When launching a new project, our process can be broken into several steps:
- Determining need: our project priorities are based on the City’s current needs, so we always determine the necessity of a project as our first step.
- Draft a Scope of Work plan: this will determine the resources, time and manpower needed to accomplish this project; information that will guide the rest of the process.
- Design stage: depending on the size and scope of the project, this can be accomplished in-house, or will be completed by contractors hired by the City.
- Put out the project to bid: The project will be added to the Utah Public Procurement Place, where contractors can submit bid proposals.
- Oversee construction project: the Engineering Division always takes an active role in each project, monitoring progress and advising/assisting our contractors.
- Monitor pay requests throughout the project: Engineering also ensures our contractors are paid accurately throughout the project.
- Finally, we close out the project.
In addition to overseeing new construction projects around South Salt Lake, the Engineering Division performs routine building inspections and reviews private building projects within the City to ensure they are in compliance with local, state and federal standards.
Street Light Out?
Help keep our neighborhoods lit!
Email to report an outage or call 801-483-6038 with the location.
To expedite the request include the pole number listed on the yellow plate.
Dennis Pay, P.ECity EngineerPhone: 801-483-6038
Chris Merket, EITEngineer
Ed RufenerSenior Engineering Inspector/Safety Manager
Ben VaeaEngineering InspectorPhone: 801-412-3211Additional Phone: 801-598-7070
220 East Morris Ave
South Salt Lake City, UT 84115
220 East Morris Ave 3rd Floor South Salt Lake City UT 84115
Monday through Friday
7:30 am to 4 pm